Gym membership at all time high
Leisure DB report reveals gym industry is continuing to grow.
The 2017 recently published report reveals another successful year for the health and fitness industry as it continues to grow. This growth is being primarily driven by the private sector, which has more clubs and more members than ever before.
There are now over 9.7 million fitness members in the UK which has boosted the penetration rate to an all-time high of 14.9%. 1 in every 7 people in the UK is a member of a gym.
The report highlights that the industry has experienced another year of impressive growth, with increases of 4.6% in the number of fitness facilities and 5.1% in the number of members.
The growth has been largely driven by the low cost sector, who offer 24 hour opening times and flexible memberships, making health and fitness more accessible and affordable. There are now over 500 low cost clubs which account for 35% of membership in the private sector.
Our media partner Pure Gym are now the largest, and fastest growing, gym chain in the UK with 176 clubs across the country.
Summary of Key Facts
- There are now 6,728 fitness facilities in the UK, up from 6,435 last year
- Total industry membership is up 5.1% to 9.7 billion
- Total market value is estimated at £4.7 billion, up 6.3% on 2016
- The UK penetration rate is 14.9%, compared to 14.3% in the previous year
- 272 new public and private fitness facilities have opened in the last 12 months, up from 224 in 2016
The benefits of advertising in gyms
- Reach 2m ABC1 members, with a 2 weekly footfall of 8 million
- An affluent audience, with disposable income – members are 26% more likely to earn £50,000
- Motivated and receptive audience – 94% are in a positive mindset at the gym
- 79% say it’s worth paying extra for quality goods
- 33% are more likely to buy products they see advertised around the gym
Please get in touch for more information – we would love to hear from you!